Experiencing anxiety occasionally is an aspect of the human condition. When you’re overly focused on something that troubles you, you may find yourself dwelling on the situation.
The next time you’re feeling worried, put these strategies into action:
1. Take part in an activity you enjoy. This is a diversionary tactic that is meant to do just that, divert your attention away from what is eating at you and do something fun instead.
* For example, if you’re struggling to forget a negative comment that one of your friends said, go see that movie you’ve been wanting to see. Start reading the novel you have on the shelf.
* As you engage in activities you love, you’ll realize that what’s been bugging you is likely irrelevant to your true happiness.
2. Go get some exercise. Nothing banishes worry like a good workout.
* As you exercise, you’ll begin focusing on the parts of your body you’re working on and the aspects you’re hoping to strengthen and tone. Your anxiety will melt away. And when you’re finished exercising, you’ll feel fabulous.
3. Just breathe. It may sound simplistic, but when you’re anxious, you may be breathing too shallowly or quickly, which contributes to the annoying feelings. Concentrate for a minute or two on your breathing. Pay attention to how it feels to inhale slowly and deeply and then to exhale in a way that feels calming.
* Try it now so you can experience how slow, deep breathing relaxes you.
4. Reflect on what’s positive in your life. Shifting away from the worrisome thoughts to consider your abundance is like a counterattack against your anxiety.
5. Get a good dose of humor. Have a witty friend? Give them a call. Does your sister crack you up? Take her to lunch. Even watching some of your favorite comedy reruns on TV can remind you of the cleansing effects of laughter.
6. Take part in community activities. When you’re involved with something bigger than yourself, your worries and insecurities seem to shrink. Working together with others brings many positive experiences and feelings to your life.
* Whether you’re volunteering to pick up trash along the roads in your town or taking part in Community Theater, it’s great to be a small cog in a big working machine.
7. Remind yourself of the love you have in your life. You likely have a partner, children, siblings, cousins, or aunts and uncles who love you dearly.
8. Journal. Allow yourself one hour to write out every single thing that bugs you and why. Sometimes, giving the anxious feelings a bit of attention also serves to purge them from your thoughts. When the hour is up, move on to doing something productive or fun.
9. Use visualization. Close your eyes and imagine your worries are collected onto a fluffy white cloud. Now, imagine that cloud with your troubles on it floating up, up, up, and away into the sky. You can barely see it. Then, it’s gone. Feel free to create a visualization that is to your individual liking to help your anxiety dissipate.
10. Consider seeking professional guidance. If you’ve tried several of the suggestions and you continue to struggle with ongoing anxiety, talk to a professional. You can start with your physician’s office if you like. Or you can call a counselor directly or even a psychiatrist.
You hold within you the power to decrease episodes of anxiety. Apply these strategies to find those that work best for you. A more peaceful life is yours for the choosing. Discover a world free of worries.