Do you feel like life is too hectic to enjoy it? By removing the things from your life that don’t matter and adding things that do, life can be much simpler and more enjoyable. A few daily habits can make a big difference in creating more simplicity in your life.
Remove much of the clutter and distractions from your daily life:
1. Put things away when you’re finished with them. It’s possible to prevent most of the clutter in your home by putting things away when you’ve finished using them.
* Everything that you have to pick up and put away is something that someone failed to put back in the proper place. Enforce this rule with all members of your family.
2. Sit down and pay your bills each week. Stay on top of your bills and avoid late fees by setting aside 10 minutes a week to pay bills. Knowing you have bills due weighs on your mind, whether you realize it or not. Take care of them regularly.
3. Keep your gas tank at least half-full. Few things are more frustrating than needing to fill your tank at an inopportune moment. If your tank is always at least half-full, you can get gas at your leisure. How convenient! You’ll also have a buffer if you’re running low on cash.
4. Build an emergency fund. If you don’t have any savings, any financial hiccup feels like a catastrophe.
* Begin by saving whatever you can. A small emergency fund can make a huge difference. You’ll sleep better at night, too.
5. Spend 15 minutes picking up the house each night. Make it a ritual for the entire family. Several pairs of hands can get a lot done in 15 minutes. Set a timer and have a race to see who can get the most done.
6. Declutter one drawer or closet each day. This will take a little time during the first pass around the house. But the second time you declutter a drawer or closet will go much more quickly. Get rid of the items you no longer need.
* Clutter begins in these closed spaces before it spreads to other areas of your house.
7. Create a basic filing system. At the very least, assign a file drawer in a desk as the home of your filing system. There are also portable containers that hold file folders. Organize your important papers, paid and unpaid bills, and anything else that needs to be saved.
8. Eliminate one television show from your life and use the free time wisely. Time spent in front of the TV is largely wasted. Drop one television program and use the time for something more enjoyable or constructive. Be creative.
9. Put the cell phone away for at least an hour each night. Put the phone away and interact with your immediate environment. Maybe you could read a book on simplicity.
10. Get ready for work or school the night before. Rather than rushing around in the morning making lunches and searching for papers or clean clothes, get everything ready the evening before.
* Your mornings will be much more peaceful and being late will become a distant memory.
Have you noticed that simplifying your life is mostly about doing a few simple things each day? It only takes a few, new habits to enhance your life and create a greater sense of well-being. Simplicity doesn’t require a complicated system. Simplicity should be simple.